Monday, January 28, 2008

Right on, Weather Guy Phillips!



Dave Phillips, Environment Canada's hugely popular weather publicist and creator of the The Canadian Weather Trivia Calendar was guest speaker this past fall at a meeting of the Canadian Geographical Society in Edmonton.
Following his talk, his calendars were offered for sale and Dave agreed to sign them.
I asked him to sign the January page of my calendar with a guess about how cold and snowy the winter would be. As a cross country skier, I love cold and snow -- the more, the better. Dave obliged by signing the page with a declaration that he was "Looking forward to a La Nina Year". I understand that lots of cold and snow are characteristic of such years.
As I write this on a Monday afternoon, following a wonderful, old-fashioned blizzard yesterday, it's minus 31 and forecast to dip to minus 34 tonight. It's the coldest I have seen it in at least a couple of years and there is
a deep snowpack on our streets. The included photos show the front of my house and my signed calendar.
Way ta go, Dave!!
P.S. After I curled this morning, Joan and I spent an hour shoveling off our sidewalks and driveway.
Then we loaded the shovels in the car and spent two hours shoveling out the driveway and sidewalks of an old couple who can't do that any more. The heavy, wind-blown snow was almost a meter deep in places and we had to duck into their heated garage three or four times to warm up before we finished the job.

1 comment:

AWGB said...

Don - you joining albertablogs.com or what?

Yes - the Monroe Doctrine. Portable patriot missile defence shields right near the tar sands - cold lake comes to mind. what a coincidence.